Black Forest Fire/Rescue will follow the the Guidelines listed below for Slash Pile burning
- Persons must obtain an Open Burning Air Permit from the County Health Department. EPC County Health Permit Website
- Arrange for a site visit with the Black Forest Fire/Rescue District, (this is required prior to permit approval).
- Obtaining an “Open Burning Permit from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office. (Must be approved and signed by the Sheriff’s Office and the Fire District)
- Maintaining a copy of the approved permit on-site of the burn.
- Persons with an Open Burning Permit must notify the Sheriff’s Office and Fire District one hour before commencing burn and at the completion of the burn.
Open burns must be constantly and directly attended and observed at all times. Extinguishing equipment must be available for immediate use.
- Burns must be conducted 50’ or more from any structure or combustible fence.
- Burns may only be conducted when actual or predicted wind speeds are 10 mph or less.
- For burns above 7000 feet in elevation there must be a minimum of 3” of snow on the ground around slash piles.
- Pile size may be up to 8’ wide and at least 4’ tall, with no material greater than 6” in diameter.
- If the burn is conducted by someone other than the legal property owner, written permission must be obtained from the legal property owner and submitted with the burn permit.
- A reasonable effort must be made to contact and notify adjacent property owners/neighbors prior to burning.