Slash Pile Burning Guidelines
Slash Pile Burning Guidelines Brochure – Word Doc
Slash Pile Burning Guidelines Brochure – PDF
- Persons must obtain an Open Burning Air Permit from the County Health Department. EPC County Health Permit Website
- Arrange for a site visit with the Black Forest Fire/Rescue District, (this is required prior to permit approval).
- Obtaining an “Open Burning Permit from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office. (Must be approved and signed by the Sheriff’s Office and the Fire District)
- Maintaining a copy of the approved permit on-site of the burn.
- Persons with an Open Burning Permit must notify the Sheriff’s Office and Fire District one hour before commencing burn and at the completion of the burn.
- Open burns must be constantly and directly attended and observed at all times. Extinguishing equipment must be available for immediate use.
- Burns must be conducted 50’ or more from any structure or combustible fence.
- Burns may only be conducted when actual or predicted wind speeds are 10 mph or less.
- For burns above 7000 feet in elevation there must be a minimum of 3” of snow on the ground around slash piles.
- Pile size may be up to 8’ wide and at least 4’ tall, with no material greater than 6” in diameter.
- If the burn is conducted by someone other than the legal property owner, written permission must be obtained from the legal property owner and submitted with the burn permit.
- A reasonable effort must be made to contact and notify adjacent property owners/neighbors prior to burning.