The following information will assist homeowners and insurance agents in determining the capabilities of the Black Forest Fire Rescue Protection District.
To Determine if you are in The Black Forest Fire Rescue Protection District go to https://assessor.elpasoco.com and perform a parcel search with your address and then go to taxing entities and look under Fire Department. If it says Black Forest Fire Rescue, you are in our district..
1. Black Forest Fire Rescue is a primarily career department with 18 career Firefighters, 3 Command Staff and 6 Volunteer EMS professionals. BFFR runs 3 shifts with 6 Firefighters per day.
2. Black Forest has a protection class of 5 within the entire protection district.
3. Our average response time within the district is 8.77 minutes
4. Our initial response to a fire is 2 engines, one with 500 gallons of water and a second with 750 gallons of water and 1 tender with 1800 gallons of water. These apparatus allows us a fire flow of 300 gpm for the first 10 minutes.
5. Upon arrival of mutual aid companies from our neighboring agencies ( CSFD, Falcon, Tri-Lakes, Wescott, and Palmer Lake, we can anticipate an additional 2 engines (1250 gal), 2 tenders (5000 gal) for an additional fire flow of 300 gPM for an additional 20 minutes. This is until the hauled water relay system is established and we can achieve a continuous hauled water supply.
6. Black Forest has a limited hydrant system within the the district. If the home is within 1000 feet of a working hydrant the ISO protection rating is a 4.
7. Black Forest Fire Rescues primary firefighting water source is hauled water. This is accomplished through firefighting water cisterns, dry hydrants on ponds, and use of the limited hydrants within the district.
8. Black Forest Fire Rescue has two stations which are staffed 24/7..
BFFR station #1, Located at 11445 Teachout road Colorado Springs, Colorado 80908
BFFR station # 2, Located at 16465 Ridge Run Drive, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80908
9. Our average intial response is 6 Firefighters and 1 command level officer. Our mutual aid partners provide an additional 8-10 Firefighters and an additional 1-2 command level officers. Additional personnel and appratus are requested as needed to support operations.