As we get close to Thanksgiving here are a few tips for safe turkey frying.
- Always use turkey fryers outdoors and a safe distance from buildings and other materials that can burn.
- Never use turkey fryers on wooden decks or in garages.
- Make sure that the fryer is on a flat surface to prevent tipping.
- NEVER leave a turkey fryer unattended.
- Keep pets and children away from the fryer to prevent burns or accidental tipping.
- Use well insulated potholders or oven mitts when touching the fryer or lid.
- Wear eye and skin protection to protect yourself from oil spatter.
- Make sure that the turkey is completely thawed before placing in oil.
- Keep an all purpose fire extinguisher (ABC) nearby in case of fire. Never use water to extinguish a grease or oil fire.
The Black Forest Fire Rescue Protection District wishes everyone a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!