Recreational Fire Guidelines
The following information and guidelines are for persons wanting to ignite a recreational fire which includes; campfire, cooking, religious or ceremonial fire within unincorporated areas of El Paso County, specifically within the Black Forest area.
The County Ordinace relating to open burning is 21-001 with the link to the ordinace below.
Fire Pit Burn Requirements:
- The pit must be a constructed or improved pit with fire prevention measures in place, i.e., good water source (hose, bucket of water or extinguisher) at the pit for any embers or if the fire breaches containment.
- Area around the pit must be mowed to a 10-ft. diameter around the pit to reduced ignitable vegetation.
- The total fuel area can be no more than 3 feet in diameter and no greater than 2 feet high. Persons lighting fires must not burn rubbish, vegetation, slash or construction materials within the fire pit. The pit must be attended at all times while ignited by a responsible party.
- Pits must be no closer than 25 feet from a structure or fence line. Persons lighting any of the above fires must notify the fire department prior to lighting to ensure no fire bans are in place and the weather conditions are suitable for open fires.
- Conditions that would prohibit any of the above fires are; Red flag day, fire bans are in place, Very High or Extreme fire danger conditions, sustained winds of greater than 10 MPH.
Black Forest Fire Rescue non-emergent number 719-495-4300
El Paso County Sheriff’s Office non-emergent line 719-390-5555
These Guidelines are for your safety and the safety of our neighbors. Black Forest Fire Rescue wants to thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines. If you have any questions about these guidelines or any other fire question, please contact us at the number listed above.
The EPSO has a lot of valuable information and the link below will take you the fire information page.
Request for Recreational Fire Permit
If you would like to have BFFR come to your residence and conduct a site visit to obtain a permit for recreational fires, please fill out the form below.
Slash Pile Saftey Guidelines
- Persons must obtain an Open Burning Air Permit from the County Health Department. EPC County Health Permit Website
- Arrange for a site visit with the Black Forest Fire/Rescue District, (this is required prior to permit approval).
- Obtaining an “Open Burning Permit from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office. (Must be approved and signed by the Sheriff’s Office and the Fire District)
- Maintaining a copy of the approved permit on-site of the burn.
- Persons with an Open Burning Permit must notify the Sheriff’s Office and Fire District one hour before commencing burn and at the completion of the burn.
- Open burns must be constantly and directly attended and observed at all times. Extinguishing equipment must be available for immediate use.
- Burns must be conducted 50’ or more from any structure or combustible fence.
- Burns may only be conducted when actual or predicted wind speeds are 10 mph or less.
- For burns above 7000 feet in elevation there must be a minimum of 3” of snow on the ground around slash piles.
- Pile size may be up to 8’ wide x 8' long x 8' high with no material greater than 4” in diameter.
- If the burn is conducted by someone other than the legal property owner, written permission must be obtained from the legal property owner and submitted with the burn permit.
- A reasonable effort must be made to contact and notify adjacent property owners/neighbors prior to burning.
- No vegitation management burnng may take place during RED FLAG days within properties fire weather zone (226 for Black Forest) or during STAGE I or STAGE II Restrictions.
Request for Slash Pile Burn Permit
Before submitting a request for a slash pile burn permit please visit https://www.elpasocountyhealth.org/service/air-quality/open-burn-application and obtain an an Open Burning Air Permit from the County Health Department. EPC County Health Permit Website
Please read the slash pile burning guidelines before submitting a request https://www.bffire.org/slash-pile-open-burning-guidelines-for-el-paso-county#